1.3

We sought to raise funds through Kickstarter for a major documentary film featuring a hugely important figure in American music history, with stunning, original, historic materialand more, based on an internationally acclaimed book and supported by many music notables. See www.originalguitarherofilm.com BUT Kickstarter failed utterly to follow their proclaimed principles and practices.

The prime REASON we did this through Kickstarter, rather than, say, IndieGoGo, was because of those claims: Kickstarter CEO Strickler claims: We really work hard to be thoughtful. Everyone who launches a project on Kickstarter talks to someone here. We really care about this. Their website says a review of each project is done before its launched, taking 30 hours to 3 days.

But NONE OF THAT that was actually done for our project. And our attempts to alert Kickstarter to this significant film project got meaningless boiler-plate responses from regular staff, and then no response from senior executives, despite sending a FedEx letter. Further: What projects they feature is erratic. And several of their one-size-fits-all advice on particulars are wrong for various projects.

Theyre on auto-pilot too much. But Kickstarter built themselves a fancy new office building. In 2015 Kickstarter gained official status as a Public Benefit Corporation. They dont deserve it.

Kickstarter must be held accountable. More: Some projects have benefited from a posting there; but others are being victimized: Complaints registered on www.ConsumerAffairs.com show they have engaged in other forms of fraud and are extremely insular and irresponsible. An example, from Karen of Burnaby, BC, in April 2017: I've backed several Kickstarter projects in the past. All were paid for in full over a year ago.

Randomly I received a charge last month for $295.05 CAD on my credit card from them. I tried complaining but they only have an email and no phone contact. I've emailed them back and forth over a dozen times with no resolution and now they're not even responding to me. I have taken this up with my credit card company and will be pursuing this as fraud.

DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR INFORMATION. They will steal your money. Other complaints are similar. (I know about public benefit; Ive served as Consultant to Minnesotas Secretary of State, done analysis for public TV and radio, and much more.) -Dr.

Dean Alger St. Paul, MN

Product or Service Mentioned: Kickstarter Crowdfunding Service.

Preferred solution: Follow stated principles & practices, compensate for losses, set up mechansim for accountability-including response to communications..

KickStarter Cons: See complaint.

Comments

Lawrence T

I'm sorry you were ripped off by Kickstarter. Please consider joining our coalition of people with similar experiences to stop Kickstarter fraud on Facebook. It's called, "Stop Kickstarter Fraud".

KickStarter Reviews